What is obesity?
Overweight and obesity are defined by excessive accumulation of body fat that becomes a risk to health. However, it also increases the risk of other chronic diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and heart disease.
Obesity has increased rapidly, with more than 4 million people dying each year as a result of being overweight or obese (The global burden of disease 2017). The method for evaluating whether a person is overweight/obese is a body mass index (BMI) that divides weight in kilograms per square meter (kg / m2).
What is BMI?
BMI or Body Mass Index is the evaluation of body fat on the basis of height and weight that applies to adult men and women. BMI is a cheap and easy screening method for the categorization of weight. The results of a BMI measurement can give a concept about whether a person has the correct weight for their height.
Note: To know your BMI “Click Here”
How to Calculated BMI (Body Mass Index)
It is calculated by a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters.
BMI = Weight(Kg)/Height(Meter)2
- Low weight = <18.5
- Average weight = 18.5-24.9
- Obesity = 25-29.9
- Obesity (phase 1) = 30.0-34.9
- Obesity (phase 2) = 35.0-39.9
- Obesity (Phase 3) = 40.0 and above
Causes of Fatness
- Consuming too many calories
- Lack of sleep
- Lack of Exercise
- Psychological factors, such as stress, sadness, or anger
Symptoms of Fatness
- Weight gain
- Increased or excessive BMI
- Higher or excessive waist circumference
- Increased accumulation of visceral fat
- Shortness of breath
- Increased sweating
- Inability to manage routine daily physical activities
- Feeling tired
- Back and joint pain
- Low self-esteem and confidence
- Feelings of isolation
How to prevent Fatness?
- Follow a healthy diet plan with plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and dairy products, and whole grains, as nutrition and obesity are interrelated.
- Stop eating junk or processed foods, fatty and sugary foods.
- Exercise regularly.
- Use vegetable-based oil instead of animal-based fats.
- Get enough sleep.